The smaller the target, the bigger the pay cheque.
I know it’s hard to think that way when you are just starting out or are struggling to find clients.
It’s easy to get caught in the trap of positioning yourself by your title such as:
- RHN, Holistic Nutritionist
- Massage Therapist
- Reiki Master
Which is true, you are your title, but when it comes to making money in any field of practice, you need to be specific about who you help and how and why you are the one who can help solve the client’s problem (i.e. relieve their back pain, help them lose weight, get rid of their migraines)
Even if you are not sure who you want to help or why you really have to, you can use these 4 steps to narrow your focus and get you closer to your bullseye:
1. Choose men or women. In most cases it is easiest to start out helping your same gender. When I first started my nutrition business, most of my clients were women (mom’s like me), however, I also helped a few of their husbands too. Often, this is what happens. You choose men or women and once you help them, they refer friends and family because they know, like and trust you.
2. Combine your education, specific knowledge and experience to help you narrow by topic and target group: seniors, athletes, executives, weight loss, arthritis, diabetes etc. Maybe it is a problem you have solved for yourself. By helping others conquer the same problem you have built-in expertise and credibility. A colleague of mine healed her chronic pain with Reiki and now helps other women with the same problem.
3. Answer two key questions: Do you love working with this group or topic? Do they have money to pay you? Some groups are fun to work with but don’t have money to pay for your services. If you are building a business, you need clients that can pay your fees. On the other hand, there are people with lots of money but are difficult clients. Speaking from experience, no amount of money makes up for a client that’s hard to work with. Choose clients that you are passionate about helping and who can pay the fees you want and deserve.
4. Once you have determined the answers to the above, focus your time, effort and money on becoming the best you can be for your ideal client group. People seek experts to solve a problem. Become an expert and your business grows.
If you need help to figure out who your ideal client group is contact Sam toll free at 1.855.860.6777.